July 4th is the day for fireworks, family gatherings, and of course—barbeque! We have prepared a braces-friendly recipe of BBQ Sloppy Joes that’s perfect for all of those summer backyard get-togethers. Not only are Sloppy Joes easy to eat with braces, they’re also a fun and easy family-friendly meal that everyone at your picnic or gathering can enjoy!
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup 2% Milk Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split & toasted
What to do:
Brown ground beef in a large non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add onions, peppers, and carrots and cook until onion is translucent and vegetables have softened (approximately 3-5 minutes). Stir frequently.
Next, add BBQ sauce to the mix and let it cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally.
Remove the mixture from heat and stir in cheese. Finally, spoon evenly into buns and enjoy. Yummy!
Braces-friendly Dessert for 4th of July!
Looking for a braces-friendly, refreshing treat that is perfect for a hot holiday like 4th of July? Try this homemade frozen peach yogurt. Not only will this recipe delight your friends and family, it’s also a healthy dessert you’ll be happy to give to your kids. And it couldn’t be easier to make!
- 1 16-ounce bag of frozen peaches
- 1 container of vanilla yogurt (try Greek yogurt for extra protein!)
- ½ of a small lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons of honey
What to do:
- Blend all the ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Chill in an 8 x 8 pan in the freezer until you reach the desired consistency (for soft serve style ice cream, you can serve directly from the blender).
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer to enjoy later.