As we begin the new year, many of us are making New Year’s resolutions—promises to be better in 2017. But while many will join a gym or take on a new hobby, why not make a resolution to make the most out of your orthodontic treatment? Here are some things you can do to ensure the best smile possible this year:
- Brush your teeth after every meal. It’s easy for food to get stuck between your teeth and brackets when you have braces or other orthodontic appliances. So make a resolution to brush your teeth after every meal. This will help to remove food particles that bacteria love. Brushing after meals will help prevent tooth decay so make the effort to brush after meals!
- Floss every night. Flossing is nobody’s favorite activity, especially when you have braces, but it’s a vital part of keeping your smile healthy. Be sure to ask us for floss threaders next time you’re in our office and be sure to floss every night before bed.
- Follow instructions from your orthodontist. Whether it’s wearing rubber bands or headgear, make sure to follow the instructions of your orthodontist. We want your smile to be just as beautiful as you do and want to have you out of braces as soon as we can. So follow the directions from our team and we promise, you’ll thank yourself in the long run!
- Stay away from harmful foods. We know how tempting it is to have popcorn at a movie or chew on a piece of taffy. But you must stay away from sticky and hard foods that could get stuck in your teeth or damage your braces. As delicious as these treats are, save them for your first day without braces.
- Always wear a mouthguard. If you are an athlete (or even just play contact sports in gym class), mouthguards are essential to protect you from serious injury to your mouth and costly damage to your braces. We are happy to help create a mouthguard for you at our office so that you can hit the field without hurting your smile.
- Wear your retainer. This is a big one if you want to avoid having braces for a second time! Your teeth do have a memory and will shift back if you do not wear a retainer. So wear your retainer every night and call us if you’re experiencing discomfort or need a new one.
Follow these tips and you’ll have a gorgeous smile in the new year. Have a safe and smile-filled 2017!