Most of, if not all of us, have had to change our daily routine in some way or another due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you have been slacking off with your smiles and oral hygiene while social distancing (which is understandable!), making smart food choices is one way to get back on track.
With braces, it is very important not to eat any crunchy foods, which can break the wires and cause painful complications. Although there are several delicious foods that you will not be able to consume with braces, there are plenty of yummy options that still exist. Besides, you can do some exploring and potentially find new foods that you like even more! Below are five braces-friendly foods that are safe to incorporate into your summer diet.
- Steamed vegetables: Steamed vegetables are not only nutritious but also delicious and safe foods to eat while sporting braces. Of course, as it is with all foods, we recommend that after you consume steamed vegetables (particularly broccoli, as it has tiny pieces that can break off and lodge themselves in your braces), you consistently brush and floss with care.
- Soft fruits (melons, oranges, seedless watermelon): Soft fruits are refreshing foods that you can safely consume while wearing braces. Cold fruit is a perfect summertime snack during hot times. Just be sure that if you eat watermelon, it is seedless. Otherwise, the seeds may get trapped in your braces. Avoid biting into hard fruits at all costs, such as apples or pears.
- Ice cream: What better way to cool down from the summer heat than with a nice scoop of ice cream? It’s important to remember, however, that with braces, you are more susceptible to cavities. As such, it’s especially crucial that you brush and floss after consuming a sugary food, like ice cream.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is a perfect summertime snack to help cool you down. Because of its smooth texture, yogurt is safe to consume with braces. Yogurt is also substantial and can serve as a mini-meal if necessary. Even though it’s a soft food that likely won’t get stuck in your braces, we still recommend brushing and flossing afterwards as it might have lots of added sugar.
- Popsicles: Like ice cream, popsicles are simply perfect for refreshing your body during the summertime heat! If you choose to enjoy popsicles, however, it is important that you let them soften before enjoying them—and never bite them! This way, you can enjoy a sweet treat while lessening the stress on your braces. As it is a particularly sugary food, brushing and flossing afterwards is strongly recommended.
Of course, while you have braces, what you can eat safely will have some limitations. With all foods that you consume with braces, we recommend that you thoroughly brush and floss after you eat—especially when dealing with sugary or acidic foods. It is understandable that during this COVID pandemic, your oral hygiene habits may have slipped a little, but it’s still important to never damage your braces with hard, sticky, or chewy snacks. By choosing only delicious braces-friendly options, you can do your teeth a favor while serving your taste buds right!